What is User Experience?
According to Smashing Magazine, user experience (UX) is "how a person feels when interfacing with a system. The system could be a website, a web application or desktop software and, in modern contexts, is generally denoted by some form of human-computer interaction."
Though formal, Smashing's definition speaks to the core of UX, which describes how an item like a website, app, program, or virtually anything digital can cause us to feel some type of emotion while we are using it.
Why UX Matters:
The quality of the UX on your app or site can greatly impact your:
- Retention rate/user loyalty
- Time in site/app
- Daily revenue
- Earnings potential
- and almost every vital monetization metric!
Factors that Cause Good/Poor UX:
With so many choices available to app and website users, a good UX is crucial to maintaining a successful, revenue-generating app or website. Anything from load times, to layout, to even the background colors of your site or app can impact your UX. For example, a seemingly small decision like adding an extra user notification in your app can cause bad UX, while using less stock photos on your site often causes a better UX.
Essentially, if your app or site is geared towards the needs of your users and is easy to use, full of quality content, and loads quickly, you typically will have a good UX. However, if you need some more guidelines, check out HubSpot's 10 Tips That Can Drastically Improve Your Website's User Experience, or Tips For Creating A User Friendly Mobile App Design from Design your way.
How Your Current Ads May Be Leading to a Poor UX:
Though ads are a necessity to monetize apps and websites, they can lead to poor UX and users are becoming more frustrated with ads each day. A recent study by PageFair and Adobe showed that there are now 198 million active adblock users around the world. Thus, banner, in-text, interstitial and other traditional ad formats that you maybe using could be a pain point for your users. A few of the many ways that your current app or site ads can cause poor UX include:
- Over Saturation: Too many ads on your site or app impacts engagement and hurts navigation.
- Distrust: Whether the reason is that the ads don't relate, make exaggerated claims, or generally appear "spammy," chances are your current UX could be suffering, as most users don't trust traditional ads.
- Undesired: Serving too many, or unrequested, ads to users can disrupt their experience. Multiple studies have shown the negative impact of unwanted ads, including Bannersnack's recent report which showed that most users click ads just to get rid of them (obviously not the type of user that you want when launching a campaign).
Create Great UX with Adscend:
At Adscend, we are all about the user. Therefore, our Offer Wall moves beyond the pitfalls of traditional app and site ads by providing value to the user.
A few of the many ways that our Offer Wall helps create great UX for your app or site:
- Letting Users Opt-In to Receive Ads: We don't believe in serving ads to users if they don't request them. Thus, our Offer Wall gives users a choice to interact with ads in order to receive premium virtual rewards, significantly increasing their satisfaction with your ads.
- Eliminating Price as a Factor: Recent studies show that most users aren't fans of making purchases from banners on a site or in an app. Our Offer Wall allows your users to obtain premium virtual rewards without payment, giving your users more access without them having to spend a dime.
- Letting Users Experience More of Your App or Site: There is a reason why users downloaded your app or registered on your site--they're interested! Our Offer Wall improves your UX by rewarding users with deeper access to your site or app, allowing them to enjoy your virtual currency, character and site upgrades, and other virtual rewards without having to spend money.
- Helping Users Reach New Heights: Stuck on a tough level? Need more credits to get a gift card? No problem! Our Offer Wall allows you to provide valuable in-app or in-site items to users whey they need them most and without requiring payment. Talk about hero UX!
- More Options to Earn Rewards: To earn valuable virtual rewards, our Offer Wall lets users choose to interact with ads in whichever format that is most convenient to them, including installing mobile apps, completing short surveys, or watching thirty-second videos.
- Serving Relevant Ads: Imagine seeing an ad that actually relates to you? Seems crazy, huh? Our Offer Wall allows you to serve custom tailored survey ads to your users, based on information they submit in a user profile!
- Non-Incentive Promotion: Our Rewarded Video solution gives the user even more choice, as they can choose to opt out of downloading a free mobile app ad if they aren't interested.
Ready to Improve Your UX With Our Rewarded Ad Solutions?
Got Questions About UX?
If you have any questions about how UX works, how to improve your UX, or have questions about how our rewarded ad solutions improve UX, please reach out to your account manager.